Border Crossing

US/Canada Border Crossing Info

United States/ Canadian Border Crossing – US Customs Requirements

US Border Crossing RequirementsRequirements to cross the border between the U.S. and Canada are tightening up. To help ease your trip and reduce the time it takes at the border, be sure you have the proper credentials before you leave the US. You must also have the correct documentation to be allowed back into the US. The border crossing documentation requirements have recently been updated. Share border crossing comments, feature your business, contact VTLiving.

Vermont United States – Canada Border Crossing

The most important thing to remember when crossing the border from the US into Canada is that you are under the jurisdiction of Canada law when going from the US to Canada. Canada custom laws and information may be found at A valid US Passport is now required for US – Canada crossings.

VT border crossingUS / Canada Border Crossing Requirements

The following forms of ID: a passport, trusted traveler cards such as NEXUS, U.S. Military identification with military travel orders, US Merchant Mariner Document, Native American Tribal photo ID card, a US passport card may be required. The US Department of Homeland Security offers Border Crossing Travel Tips that will make your border crossing quicker and easier.

Passport Requirements – If you are 19 or older and don’t have a passport or one of the other above mentioned forms of ID you need BOTH a: Government-issued photo ID, such as a drivers license with photo, name and date of birth or a military ID card, AND proof of citizenship, such as a US or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority; or US Consular report of birth abroad; or US Certificate of Citizenship; or US Citizen ID card.

Traveling with children – For US and Canadian citizens age 18 and older a passport or a birth certificate or a naturalization certificate must be present when crossing the border.

Not from here – If you are a US lawful permanent resident you must present a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other valid evidence of lawful permanent residence. Travelers other than Canadian and US citizens must abide by all existing passport and non-immigrant visa requirements.

Plan before you head out on the road. Be sure to have the required documents and your trip will go much smoother. US Passport paperwork is available at most US Post Offices.

VT Lodging Guide | VT Maps | VT Attractions | VT Realty

Vermont Products
| Visit VT Towns | FWM 24/7 Shopping

Country Weddings | New England Recipes
VT Inns | Red Sox Gifts | Travel Destinations

New England Living

Fitness and Sports Products On Sale Now

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Thousands of Movies & TV Shows Anytime - Start Free Trial Now

Free World Mall

Country Weddings | Vermont Products | State of Vermont