VT Dog Sledding
Vermont Dog Sled Vacations & Lodging
Dog sledding is a fun way to enjoy your winter vacation in Vermont. You experience the sensation of sledding over frozen ground and snowy mountain passes while wearing little more than ski pants, mittens, a woolen sweater and a parka. There is in fact no better way to experience Vermont in the wintertime than riding behind a team of powerful dogs. Imagine dashing through glistening snow-covered valleys behind your own team of friendly Siberian Huskies or Alaskan Malamutes. Ask us about Vermont or sharer your Vermont dog sledding experiences with us. To feature your Vermont business, contact us.
Vermont Dog Sledding
As I write this in late December, relatively few people are looking for ways to extend winter. That’s why my decision to embark on a late winter dog sledding expedition in Vermont may seem a tad bit peculiar.
But January and February are ideal months to enjoy all the fun aspects of a dog sledding vacation with few of the liabilities. You experience the sensation of sledding over frozen ground and snowy mountain passes while wearing little more than ski pants, mittens, a woolen sweater, and a parka.
There is in fact no better way to experience Vermont in the wintertime than riding behind a team of powerful dogs. Imagine dashing through glistening snow-covered valleys behind your own team of friendly Siberian Huskies or Alaskan Malamutes. Vermont dog sled tour operators offer trips ranging from a half-day to several days. They teach you the ropes and allow guests to experience the thrill of driving their own team.
Vermont sled dogs love to run. One Vermont lodge owner told me: “Every one of them wants to take off each and every day.” She continued: “I’ve heard people say it seems cruel to hook the dogs to a sled, but, knowing these dogs as I do, it would be cruel not to let them run.”
Sled dogs in Vermont can move at a rapid trot for 6 hours, with hardly a break. Watching 60 legs move in their own special cadence and rhythm for hours on end is almost hypnotic in its poetry.
Eventually, it was my turn to try driving. The dogs patiently waited while I fumbled with the harnesses, often getting them on backward, or inside out. Throughout my amateurish attempts to ready the dogs for the sled, they licked my face and burrowed their heads affectionately in my lap. To say the animals were friendly would have been an understatement.
During the time I was dog sledding in Vermont, I got to know many of the dogs and their individual personalities–Siarnak, the sweet, eccentric hardworking character; mischievous Sheba, who got loose one night when everyone was asleep and ate most of the food that was supposed to feed the dogs for the rest of the trip; and the particularly poignant case of ailing Niki, a once-powerful dog who seemed embarrassed that age had slowed him down.
There’s a sophisticated hierarchy among the dogs. Their power struggles and inter-office “politics” are relentless. The pulling dog who’s the strongest and takes direction best is called the lead dog. The lead dog is different from the boss dog, who’s the real chief and corrects everyone else’s behavior.
Dogs often become rivals of one another, but only against another dog who’s on their level of the social structure. It’s in the same vein as when a new junior associate of a firm may jockey for power and position with another junior associate but is smart enough not to take on a senior partner.
The Mushing Experience.
The dogs howled and tugged as we sat in formation in the Green Mountain National Forest, each tug jolting the sled. “Woo woo woo” from a dog in our team echoed back three or four times from dogs in other teams, as though they were singing back and forth like birds.
Minutes later, on the trail, we found ourselves in the middle of a Vermont winter wonderland, the only sound being that of crunching snow as our sled streaked across its surface. While noisy when waiting in camp, sled dogs are silent when running.
The driver’s (musher’s) job is to control the sled by leaning into turns and making sure it doesn’t outpace the dogs when moving downhill. “Gee” means go right. “Haw” means go left. It doesn’t always work, especially when the dogs are told to turn off what seems to them like a perfectly good straight and snowy road.
Executing a turn is serious business for the dogs. If the driver makes a turn incorrectly, by not digging a foot into the snow just so, or by guiding the sled into too tight or too wide of an arc, without breaking stride, the dogs turn their heads to fire back a suspicious look, as if to ask, “What on earth were you thinking?”
Dog sledding is much like sailing, in that sometimes hours seem to go by when you do little work and just move placidly across the snow in a relaxed, meditative mood. Then there are times when it’s ever so demanding as you steer the sled sharply by pulling or pushing it from the front or rear over steep hills.
The next day we moved deeper into the wilderness, which looked more and more like a mesmerizing moonscape. Many times we stopped to take pictures, entranced by pristine Vermont in its natural state.
The lead dogs are remarkable when you consider their responsibilities. After starting out at a gallop for a half to three-quarters of a mile, they then have to set and hold a slower cruising speed, which they can sustain for considerable distances. The musher helps with commands and heel-dragging if the team is too excited to pull back. Second, lead dogs have to keep the lines taut to the sled. And third, the lead dogs act on directions from the musher who is positioned 20 to 25 feet behind them.
Afterward, back where we started, their mission completed, the dogs looked satisfied. I walked over to thank them for taking me along. One of the lead dogs jumped up on his hind legs and proceeded to fall forward on me. Standing almost as tall as me, the magnificent creature wanted affection, as though perhaps he was more thankful of me for helping drive than I was of him for running.
Mush! Who Should Go?
Anyone in reasonably good health and condition can mush a team of sled dogs in Vermont. The animals do most of the work, and the expedition leaders provide training. Because of the close association with the animals, participants should, of course, like dogs. In addition, a good attitude and a healthy sense of humor help along the way.
Where to Go Dog Sledding?
There are several Dog Sledding Centers in Vermont including; Peace Pups Dogsledding, Lake Elmore, Eden Mountain Lodge, Vermont Dog Sledding in Shoreham (802-897-2311); Hardscrabble Mountain Sled Dog Tours (802-626-9895) and in Stowe, you can mush with Green Mountain Dog Sled Adventures (802-888-8911).
Dog Mushing Equipment
Boots are of paramount importance. Pac-type boots (rubber bottoms, leather or nylon tops) are ideal. Bring a hooded, heavy parka that is down or synthetic filled. Many coats are called “parkas” just because they have a hood; however, many of them have virtually no insulation. Besides boots, a solidly constructed parka is your most important piece of gear.
Do bring one pair of outer insulated nylon pants; these should be able to fit over wool or ski pants. Also bring one or two sets of heavyweight polypropylene, wool or down long underwear, tops, and bottoms. You will need a heavy wool or fleece shirt, as well as a fur cap, or balaclava (a close-fitting, knitted woolen cap that covers the head, neck, and tops of the shoulders). A thin, synthetic balaclava, which can be pulled up to cover the face, with a long neck to keep out windy drafts, is ideal. Also bring insulated mittens and wool or fleece gloves as liners, as well as polypropylene/wool blend socks.
Have you ever dreamed of going dog sledding in Vermont? Do you enjoy the pristine wilderness as far as the eye can see, the thrill of abundant wildlife up close, majestic mountain scenery, but you don’t want to rough it too much? Then by all means partake of this opportunity.
The idea of a Vermont dog sledding expedition should not be intimidating to people. Except for short bursts, this type of trip is not that rigorous for persons of even average physical condition. After all, you are sitting and riding much of the time.
As a recreation, dog sledding is an alternative to motorized sports and a way to enjoy Vermont’s winter countryside without the noise and fumes of snowmobiles. And the dogs quickly become your friends, not a machine to be put away for the year.
Spellbound by the beauty that the low, soft sun bestowed on the snow-blanketed panorama, I cast about in my mind for some words that would adequately describe the sights I had beheld and the emotions I had felt on my Vermont dog sledding trip. Articulating such moments is not easy, but the eloquent words of writer Robert Service did come to mind:
– Mary Syrett
“The strong life that never knows harness
The wilds where the caribou call;
The Freshness, the Freedom, the Farness
Oh God! How I’m struck by it all.”
- Make A Splash: Crocs Handle It Rain Boots For Girls And Boys Keeps Those Puddle-Jumping Feet Cozy And Dry For The Rainiest Of Days.
- Easy On And Off: Oversized Handles Make Them Easy For Kids To Take These Boots On And Off, And Also Include A Reflective Heel Logo For Safety.
- What Size Should I Buy?: These Kids' Rain Boots Offer A Roomy Fit And We Recommend Ordering A Size Down To The Next Largest Whole Size.
- Easy To Clean: The Croslite Material Makes These Rain Boots Extremely Easy To Clean. Just Wash In Cold Water And Mild Soap And Allow To Dry.
- Shop with Confidence: Crocs products are backed by our 90-day manufacturer's warranty for high quality and authenticity. Terms and conditions apply
- 【Waterproof Rain Jacket Keep You Dry】Waterproof material with full striped lining. Stay dry all the time thanks to the polyester spandex fabric with higher density, light rain or snow is not easy to penetrate, suitable for your hiking, camping, climbing, traveling, sport and outdoor activities.
- 【Multi-Functional Raincoat Meet All Your Need】1) Hidden Adjustable Drawstring Waist enhances your body beauty. 2) Detachable Hood creates totally different look, it can be partially cleaned during cleaning to extend its service life. 3) 2 Front Flap Pockets with buttons ensure that the contents are not dropped. 4) Long Sleeve Elastic Cuffs and High Collar Hooded Design enhance windproof function. 5) Length can cover the hips,Stylish Vertical Striped Lining design makes you thin when you wear it.
- 【Lightweight Rain Jacket Make You Easy】Bloggerlove rain jackets are designed lightweight,it could be packed in a small compact pouch which is easy to be carried in your day pack and perfect for trip or casual wear, and also reduces energy consumption in the body.
- 【Womens Raincoats Care】The raincoats are Dirt Proof, Wrinkle Resistance, Easy cleaning. Recommend Hand-Wash by low temperature or Dry Clean, Do Not Machine Wash. Machine wash easily damage the waterproof fabric.
- 【Size NOTICE】This raincoat is a little large, If you prefer wear slim clothes, Please choose a smaller size.
- Seam-sealed waterproof construction keeps feet dry in wet conditions
- 200G Thinsulate lined for added warmth
- Medial zipper for easy on/off
- Rawhide barrel lacing with rustproof eyelets
- Non-marking rubber lugged outsole with Wave-Siping for ultimate wet/dry traction
- 1 ¼” heel provides just-right, wearable lift
- Ghillie lacing design adds style-forward finish
- COMFORT AND WARMTH: Cushioned footbed for supportive comfort. All-cold weather protection and a toasty layer of insulation.
- FIT AND EASIER ENTRY: Easy pull on with both a drawstring and ankle velcro strap.
- WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION: Seam-sealed, waterproof outsole keeps feet dry in wet conditions. Perfect for all outdoor winter activities.
- KEPP OUT THE ELEMENTS: Stomp around town even when the rain and cold tries to slow you down with the durable and comfortable ALEADER rain boots.
- 30 DAYS PERFECT AFTER-SALES SERVICE: We will pay more and more attention to the supervision of product quality.
- Casual & Breathable: These women's fashion sneakers are lace-up shoes that are good for sports, running, and other outdoor activities. The chic and modern design will surely complement your wardrobe
- Stability & Comfort: Features an eco-friendly textile topcover and a removable, molded PU-like EVA footbed designed for extra security and added comfort
- Ergonomic Design: Waterproof bootie construction keeps the elements out. The cozy, memory foam-like EVA insole helps you have good footing. These men's sneakers are easy to pair with your work out clothes and everyday outfits
- Durable Materials: Lightweight midsole and molded rubber outsole gives you the perfect blend of durability and comfort
- Stylish Protection: These versatile shoes for women are perfect for everyday use. The non-slip feature helps you avoid injuries, while the handcrafted herringbone outsoles are made with a vulcanized rubber compound optimized for wet traction
- [Tummy Control Yoga Pants] The flare legging is ideal for yoga and gym workouts. The yoga pant provides tummy control, sculpts your legs and accentuates your waistline.
- [High Quality Fabric] The legging is made of 80% nylon and 20% spandex fabric which is buttery soft, stretchy, non-see through and ultra-light. It gives you proper and weightless support.
- [Crossover Waistband] The flare legging is designed with crossover waistband and V seam that gives you a flattering fit.
- [Inseam Length] Designed with 30-inch inseam regular length, the flare legging is supportive enough and gives you an elegant look.
- [All Day Comfort] The flare legging is suitable for every casual occasion and provides you all day comfort.
- 6 Pack
- Classic Tank Undershirt
- Soft Ribbed Fabric Forms to Your Shape
- Cool and Comfortable Fit
- Soft and Durable
- Wicks moisture
- Tag Free
- Six crew-neck T-shirts with tagless collar and short sleeves
- Fresh IQ advanced odor protection technology attacks odor-causing bacteria in your clothing to help you feel fresh all day
- Roomy armholes allow free movement. Generous length stays tucked
- Soft cotton knit
- 【Soft & Comfortable Material】 Crop tank sports bra make of lightweight, breathable and stretchy fabric, sweat-wicking keep you dry.
- 【Design-- Full coverage U-back】 sports bra for additional support with removeable pad, Great for low, medium and high impact activites. Full figure with racerback design not only effectively protect against shock, prevent the bra from shifting, but also beautify your back curve, increase the fashion sexy style.
- 【Match】Wear over your favorite sports leggings for an easy yoga workoutt fit, Great Matches skirts, shorts for a casual everyday look, Dress it up with slacks or Sweatpants
- 【Fitness & Life】This Sports Bra & Tank Top Shirt also makes a great choice for everyday bra.The Full Coverage Sports Bra.
- Notice: Please check the size information in the description below before ordering instead of the default amazon size chart.
- QUALITY FABRIC – Our men's workout tank tops are made from preshrunk 100% cotton so the size you buy is the size it stays.
- VALUE YOU EXPECT – Each men's undershirt tank value pack includes 6 tanks.
- BREATHABLE & MOISTURE-WICKING – Cool Comfort technology helps wick moisture from skin to keep you cool and dry all day long.
- NO TAG, NO ITCH – Because who has time for scratchy tags?
- SIZE OPTIONS – From men's shirt sizes Small-3XL, our multiple size options make shopping simple.
- EASY CARE – Throw your gym tank tops right in the washing machine on laundry day.
- 【Multiple Wearing Methods】Can be worn as opened or closed balaclavas, face masks, neck gaiters, scarfs, bandanas, helmet liners, headbands and even wristbands
- 【Multifunctional】Sun UV protection, summer cooling, windbreak, dust proof and sand control, sweat absorption and quick drying, wrinkle free and machine washable
- 【Very Practical】 Suitable for multiple activities, such as skiing, snowboarding, fishing, motorcycling, running, climbing, hiking, tactical training and other outdoor activities
- 【Unique Design】 Designed in a minimalist unisex aesthetic which is suitable for men/women and even children. More colors available
- 【Perfect Service】Shipped by Amazon. Should you not be completely satisfied with any aspect of the product, please feel free to reach out us
- Convertible foldover design with eye opening for optimal visibility
- Therma-Sphere fabric with Dri-FIT technology delivers moisture wicking
- Balaclava style offers comfort and protection for external elements
- Nike Swoosh logo graphic above eye and reflective vertical stripe in the back
- Material: 93% polyester / 7% spandex ; imported
- Lightweight Material - Our signature AirTek fabric wicks sweat away from your body keeping you cool, dry and performing at your best.
- Tight Fit - The tight fit of our football ski mask facilitates the frequent on/off of your football helmet between the field and the sidelines.
- Short Neckline - Our balaclava purposely hugs your neckline without extending too far in order to keep you covered but not unnecessarily warm.
- Multiple Styling Options - The ski mask for men can also be worn as a durag, headband or neck gaiter. Making it the perfect football accessorie on and off the field.
- One Size Fits All - Nxtrnd ski masks are made to fit most Adult and Youth football players.
- Material: The hiking pants are made of 92% polyester and 8% spandex, which are waterproof, windproof, warm,abrasion resistant,no pilling and comfy.
- Multi zipper pockets keep your phone,keys,credit cards and other personal belongings secure.
- Slim fit hiking pants featuring adjustable waistband with belt,patckwork knees,steric knee darts and unique zippered cargo pockets on thigh part.
- Water repellent windproof outdoor pants with fleece lining,keep you warm and dry in the cold and windy weather.
- Stylish snow pants for women,perfect for winter outdoor activities like hiking,mountaineering,camping,skiing,snowboarding,climbing,ice sports. NOTE: Dear customers, if you have any questions , please feel free to contact us and we will provide the best solution to you.
- 💖BREATHABLE WARM LINING】These womans snow boots lining use the fine artificial short plush, completely wrapped your feet. A fully cushioned collar of these womens boots winter helps prevent ankle discomfort for all-day wear, which keeps you warm and cozy in cold weather conditions.
- 💖 WATERPROOF SURFACE】The vamp of these womens boots winter is made of quality waterproof oxford cloth, feel soft, warm, comfortable. Boots for women waterproof will ensure all-day dry comfort by blocking rain, snow, or any other liquid from invading and easy to clean with cloth.
- 💖 【ANTI-SLIP POLYURETHANE SOLE】These boots for women waterproof crafted with durable and rigid polyurethane soles in addition to a notch on the bottom for a no-slip solid grip, they offer stable support when you are striding on any humid surfaces without the fear of dropping off. These womens boots are ultra-wear resistant, non-slip, resilient, shockproof; comfortable for long wear and walking.Great winter boots for women.
- 💖 【EASY PUT ON & OFF】 No tie womens snow boots waterproof are fitted with sturdy hook loop design, adjust and fit your foot freely, easy put on and off.
- 💖 【IDEAL FOR ANY ACTIVITY】Snow boots for women is suitable for cold weather winter days, perfect for activities like camping, slow running, playing sledding, ski, trip, walking the dog, walking, outdoor indoor daily wear, also it is a good option snow boots for Christmas gift.
- Shell: 100% Polyester Dobby ThermaLock Fabric. Lining: 100% Polyester 210T Taffeta
- 85 grams ThermaTech Insulation offers warmth in a lightweight, low bulk garment (keeps you warm at temperatures from -20° to +35°)
- 600 Denier Ballistic are used to reinforce the seat, knees, ankle, scuff and hem guards to hold up against daily wear and tear
- Convenient O-ring for keys, gloves, and/or lift tickets
- Boot Gaiters with Grippers form a seamless integration with boots to keep warmth in and moisture out
- Adjustable waist for comfortable fit
- Fleece Lined: Soft fleece lining can withstand the severe cold and keep you warm, ideal for cold weather of 20°F-50°F
- Water Resistant: Comfy soft fabric is treated with a durable water repellent to shed light rain and stains, available for snowing day
- High Waistband: 3.5 inch High-rise waistband for better tummy control, adjustable drawstring offer custom fit
- Convenience Pockets: Deep side pockets available for 6.7" mobile phone, cards and other essentials, free your hands
- Perfect for running, hiking, lounging, casual, skiing, skating, yoga and daily wear. TIPS: Cold machine wash or hand wash, then dry at low temperature or air dry
- Elastic closure
- Two side pockets
- Adjustable drawstring waist for comfort fit, ribbed ankle
- Winter warm fleece lined solid color closed-bottom sweatpants
- Same style for men search "Yeokou Mens Winter Warm Sherpa Lined Active Thermal Jogger Fleece Sweatpants Pant"; Same style for baby girl and boy search "Yeokou Unisex Boys Girls Kid's Sherpa Lined Athletic Jogger Fleece Sweatpants".