History of Snowboarding
The Birth of the Snowboard & Boarding Vacations
This is where snowboarding got it’s start. So why not board where snowboarding first started, beside the conditions are just great for snowboarding at nearly all of Vermont’s Ski Areas. A snowboarding vacation is outrageous way to getaway. Vermont offers the snowboard enthusiast challenging fun at a variety of slopes. With the best mountains, hotels, inns, resorts, and mountain rentals – it’s no wonder Vermont is New England’s top boarding destination. Discover the best snowboarding in the east in … Vermont – where snowboarding began! Ask us about VT Snowboarding history or share comments. To feature your business, contact us.
Vermont Snowboarding History – Winter Vacations
The Wildflower Inn, 2059 Darling Hill Road, Lyndonville, VT 05851 | 802-626-8310
Trailside Lodging in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Your next great adventure awaits at The Wildflower. A four-season destination property for the best in outdoor recreation and Vermont experiences. With our 25-room Inn, full-service restaurant, pub, Village Sport bike shop (with rentals) and KCE guide company right on the property, you will have everything you need to make the most of your Vermont visit.
Visit The Wildflower Inn - Lyndonville, VT
Take a passion for surfing, skateboarding and skiing, mix it with the force of gravity, bring it to the mountains and Voila! You have the birth of snowboarding. In the 1960’s and 70’s, early boarders called themselves ‘Snurfers” (Snow + Surfer) and would hurl themselves down mountains with no foot straps and no control, on boards that were little more than two skis strapped together. Much like the antiquated surfboards of the 1960’s, the first snurf boards were unreasonably long and cumbersome. Snurf Boards – were the original Snowboards – a unique made in Vermont Product.
In the early 1970’s, not only did the size of surfboards decrease to a more modern and manageable size, the snurf boards did as well. It was at this point that Jake Burton Carpenter began developing safe and manageable snowboards in earnest. Working out of his garage in Manchester, VT, Burton had a vision of bringing snowboarding to the world. In the mid-70’s he began shaping snowboards out of wood and attaching rubber foot straps to them as primitive bindings. This vision apparently succeeded, because Burton Snowboards has been one of the leading forerunners in the snowboard industry for the last 30 years. The vision of Jake Burton in the 1970’s has directly influenced today’s modern sport of snowboarding.
In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, Vermont was home to one of the first established snowboard competition in the world – the National Races at Suicide Six in Pomfrey, VT. Early snowboard races were also held at Pando Park in Rochford, Michigan. A concentrated interest in this sport eventually spawned the US Open, the world’s first renowned snowboard competition. The US Open has been held at Magic Mountain, and eventually moved to Stratton Mountain Resort.
Vermont was also the first state in America to offer terrain parks at its ski resorts. In the early 1980’s, the tiny Sonnenburg Ski Hill near Barnard, VT was one of the first to open its arms to snowboarders. Not only did Sonnenburg give those early snow boarders free reign to build their own jumps on one trail, they also provided an endless supply of hay bales and picnic tables for jumping as well. Because the vast majority of ski resorts would not allow snowboarding on their trails at the time, what Sonnenburg did was truly groundbreaking. Because of Sonnenburg’s willingness to open their doors to boarders, snowboard terrain parks are now a commonplace sight at most American ski resorts and countless other international winter resorts as well.
Thanks to the innovative visions of a handful of Vermonters, snowboarding is now an internationally accepted sport worldwide.
In 1988, the US Amateur Snowboarder Association was formed. By 1990, it had grown to become the International Snowboarding Federation. Finally, in 1998, snowboarding made it big. People started realizing it wasn’t a fad that would fade as quickly as it seemed to have appeared. No longer considered just an ‘extreme’ sport, snowboarding had at last become a recognized Olympic sport
. Vermont was well represented at the Olympics in Nagano, Japan that year, with several native Vermonters competing in two different competitions; the Halfpipe and the Giant Slalom.
Today, Vermont resorts continually improve their boarding services, with newer and more innovative terrain opening each season. Vermont – home of the original Burton Snowboards. Thanks to Vermont snowboarders, 98% of all ski resorts not only allow snowboarding on their trails, they develop challenging slopes geared specifically for the boarders as well.
History of Snowboarding | Learning to Snowboard | Burton Snowboards
Snowboard Terminology | Vermont Snowboard Resorts | History of Burton
- Designed for men over 200 pounds who suffer from lower back pain and foot & leg fatigue from being on their feet
- Arch guard plus shock guard technology distributes weight and reduces impact
- Relieves lower back pain and foot & leg fatigue from being on your feet ; Specially designed for men over 200 lbs
- Fits Casual shoes, Sneakers & Work boots/shoes. Trim to fit in any shoe
- Dr. Scholl's offers a Money Back Guarantee if you're not satisfied with the product.
- Bose Waterproof Speaker — Small but powerful, the Bose SoundLInk Micro Bluetooth speaker produces loud, clear sound with shockingly deep bass. It packs a custom-designed transducer and passive radiators for crisp, balanced sound.
- Tear-resistant Strap — This small portable speaker comes equipped with an easy-to-use, tear-resistant silicone strap. Secure it to your backpack, beach cooler, or handlebars, and the reliable strap will hold tight through shocks and shakes.
- Rugged Outdoor Speaker — Constructed from durable materials, including a rubberized silicone exterior, SoundLink Micro resists drops, dents, cracks, and scratches. Plus, its soft-touch finish almost never shows a mark.
- IP67 Waterproof Speaker — The SoundLink Micro Bluetooth speaker has been rigorously tested to meet an IP67 rating. It’s waterproof, dustproof, and protected from extreme temperatures, liquids, and other substances.
- Long-lasting Battery — This small outdoor speaker comes with a powerful lithium-ion battery. Enjoy up to 6 hours of music and charge anytime via the included Micro-USB cable.
- Phone Calls from your Bluetooth Speaker — An integrated microphone allows you to take phone calls directly from the speaker, while a multi-function button gives you access to your phone’s voice assistant (Siri or Google Assistant).
- Bose Connect App — App automatically updates the small Bluetooth speaker with the latest software, allows you to customize settings, unlock product features, and more.
- Pair Bose Speakers for more Sound — For even more immersive sound, pair Micro with another Bose Bluetooth speaker, or connect it to a Bose smart speaker to extend your listening experience from inside the home to outside.
- BATTERY LIFE - Up to 12 hours of listening time
- CUSTOMIZED FIT - All-day comfort with Flex-Form cable and four eartip options
- APPLE HEADPHONE CHIP - Powered by the Apple W1 headphone chip for seamless connectivity
- THE MUSIC STOPS WHEN YOU DO - Magnetic earbuds with Auto-Play/Pause
- LISTEN WITH A FRIEND - Audio Sharing lets you wirelessly share audio with another pair of Beats headphones or AirPods
- EXTENDED WIRELESS RANGE - Class 1 Bluetooth for extended range and fewer dropouts
- ON-DEVICE CONTROLS - On-device controls for music, calls, and voice assistant
- BUILT-IN MICROPHONE - Built-in microphone with wind reduction for elevated voice clarity
- COMPATIBILITY - Compatible with Apple and Android
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX - Beats Flex wireless earphones, USB-C to USB-C charging cable, Eartips with four size options, Quick Start Guide, Warranty card (USB-C power adapter sold separately)
- Designed for people who work on hard surfaces all day and experience discomfort and fatigue in their feet and legs
- Fastest treatment time – as fast as 10 sec
- Great Arch-Support – Firm columns provide contoured support to overworked arch area
- Fits Work soots/shoes, Casual shoes & Sneakers; Trim to fit shoe size
- Dr. Scholl's offers a Money Back Guarantee if you're not satisfied with the product
- MAKE HIKING A COMFORTABLE EXPERIENCE These Merino wool hiking socks are built to provide you with total support and comfort during your hiking trips, no matter the weather. Each pair of these hiking boot socks is ideal for the rugged terrain, allowing these to be great mens or women's hiking socks
- ITCH FREE MATERIAL These wool hiking socks come blended with nylon to promote a comfortable, itch free experience. Ultra comfortable, these women and mens hiking socks won't cause you to pause in your step to scratch at your foot or readjust the calf height sock
- KEEP YOUR FEET WARM DURING COLD WINTER HIKES With these hiking socks, women and men alike can enjoy the comfortable warmth that these cozy socks provide. Especially good for the colder months, each winter sock in the pair of men and womens wool socks will keep out the cold and moisture that wintertime often affords
- SUPERIOR CUSHIONING IN THE FOOTBED These mens and womens hiking socks offer a shaped cushioning in their footbed to promise a more comfortable trek up the mountain. Through the use of these mens wool socks, women and men can enjoy less fatigue and pain in their feet after a long day of hiking in these ladies wool socks
- SIMPLE TO CARE FOR When you get home, these wool socks mens accessories can be washed easily. Just put these women and mens hiking socks in the wash on cold and these wool socks will be good to go. Two Size Available Small-Medium (Fits Shoe size: Men 5-9.5/ Women 6-10.5) and Medium-Large (Fits Shoe size: Men 9.5–14/Women 11-15)
- 100% Other Fibers
- 85 grams ThermaTech Insulation offers warmth in a lightweight, low bulk garment (keeps you warm at temperatures from 20 to 35 degrees)
- Adjustable comfort suspenders for the perfect fit with elasticized side gussets for maximum motion
- 600 Denier Ballistic are used to reinforce the ankle, scuff and hem guards to hold up against daily wear and tear
- Boot zippers for easy on and off, along with convenient O-ring for keys/gloves/lift tickets
- Boot gaiters with grippers form a seamless integration with boots to keep warmth in and moisture out
- Adjustable suspenders offer customized fit, plus elasticized side gussets to accommodate extra mobility
- Heat Retention: When it comes to warmth and everyday wear, these long johns for men is designed specifically for you to stay protected from the cold.
- Ultra Soft Fleece: Designed with a fleece lining & quality material, these ultra soft mens thermal underwear set will keep you feeling comfortable throughout the day.
- Moisture Wicking: Stay dry with these long underwear mens as they're made from breathable fabric that effectively wicks away moisture and perspiration.
- 4 Way Stretch: Made with stretchable material, these thermals for men allows you freedom of movement with no chafing or bunching up when you move.
- Layer Up: Layering is essential to ward off the cold, so bundle up with a pair of mens thermals this winter and stay comfortable while outside or in bed as a pajama.
- Heat Retention: Thermajane womens thermal underwear keeps your body heat from escaping. They provide extra warmth and coziness to make a perfect everyday baselayer.
- Ultra Soft: Our thermals for women are lined with fleece for extra softness against your skin. They’ll protect you from the cold for added comfort.
- Moisture Wicking: While at home or at work, our womens long johns will keep you dry and odor free. No matter the activity, you’ll stay confident all day.
- 4 Way Stretch: The soft and stretchable fabric on these womens long underwear fit snugly against your skin and will keep you moving freely no matter what your activity is.
- Layer Up: When it comes to style and comfort, our womens thermals is the ideal base layer to wear throughout your day.
- Great Gifts Idea, birthday, anniversary, promotion celebration for your family members and lovers.
- EXQUISITE COMFORT - Made of high-tech aircraft-grade aluminum and ABS material, thousands of polished exterior material, smooth and warm, portable and compact as well anti-skid in one hand.
- FAST HEATING & 3 LEVELS - Press the switch and instantly release the warmth for you. Rapidly warm up double sides in seconds. 3 levels of temperatures 95-107°F/104-118°F/118-131°F at your choice.
- LARGE BATTERY CAPACITY - 5200 mAh lithium rechargeable battery with USB-C charging port ensures a long using time. It can also be used as a power bank to charge your electronic device at any time.
- PERFECT GIFT - It's a MUST HAVE to spend a cold winter, especially for raynauds arthritis sufferers for heat therapy needs.
- ULTIMATE PROTECTION for YOUR FACE and YOUR BODY – Achiou balaclava face mask is made from high quality fabric, comfortable and lightweight. Very effective for providing face protection, primarily against the wind, dust, UV while motorcycling or other sports. When winter weather is in full force, this soft mask is quite the treat
- WARM BREATHABLE & KEEP DRY – Achiou ski face masks are tailored to your head and face to ensure that the part to cover the nose not falls down easily. Complete head face neck mask for summer and winter. The balaclava mesh material is breathable, absorbs sweat and will keep you dry. It also fit nicely under your helmet and goggles and keep your face and head warm
- VERSATILITY & BEST GIFTS – Can be worn as full face mask or hat, open balaclava, sun shield masks, half ski mask , neck gaiter or saharan style & ninja hoodie. Wear your balaclava on its own or under a helmet. People use Achiou balaclava for skiing, running, riding, fishing, snowboarding, motorcycling, hiking, Climbing. Perfect fit for Women, Men and Children. It is best gift for your friends and family etc
- ULTIMATE COMFORT: Achiou ski mask provides all-day comfort by keeping you warm and dry. It has a stretchy, lightweight and breathable fabric that protects your face while wicking away moisture. Thermal Dry fabric provides optimal moisture transfer, dry time
- GREAT TO SHARE (GREAT GIFT IDEA TOO!) – while you are enjoy it, send it to your family, friends, or people you loved as a gift for Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, Father's day, Mother's Day etc! Also,it's a great gift to runners, athletes, fitness workouts, hiking, cycling, or anyone who need it
Vermont Ski Resort Guide
Vermont Products | Visit VT Towns | FWM 24/7 Shopping
Country Weddings | New England Recipes
VT Inns | Red Sox Gifts | Travel Destinations
New England Living | NE Ski Resorts
Free World Mall
Country Weddings | New England Recipes
VT Inns | Red Sox Gifts | Travel Destinations