History of Snowboarding
The Birth of the Snowboard & Boarding Vacations
This is where snowboarding got it’s start. So why not board where snowboarding first started, beside the conditions are just great for snowboarding at nearly all of Vermont’s Ski Areas. A snowboarding vacation is outrageous way to getaway. Vermont offers the snowboard enthusiast challenging fun at a variety of slopes. With the best mountains, hotels, inns, resorts, and mountain rentals – it’s no wonder Vermont is New England’s top boarding destination. Discover the best snowboarding in the east in … Vermont – where snowboarding began! Ask us about VT Snowboarding history or share comments. To feature your business, contact us.
Vermont Snowboarding History – Winter Vacations
The Wildflower Inn, 2059 Darling Hill Road, Lyndonville, VT 05851 | 802-626-8310
Trailside Lodging in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Your next great adventure awaits at The Wildflower. A four-season destination property for the best in outdoor recreation and Vermont experiences. With our 25-room Inn, full-service restaurant, pub, Village Sport bike shop (with rentals) and KCE guide company right on the property, you will have everything you need to make the most of your Vermont visit.
Visit The Wildflower Inn - Lyndonville, VT
Take a passion for surfing, skateboarding and skiing, mix it with the force of gravity, bring it to the mountains and Voila! You have the birth of snowboarding. In the 1960’s and 70’s, early boarders called themselves ‘Snurfers” (Snow + Surfer) and would hurl themselves down mountains with no foot straps and no control, on boards that were little more than two skis strapped together. Much like the antiquated surfboards of the 1960’s, the first snurf boards were unreasonably long and cumbersome. Snurf Boards – were the original Snowboards – a unique made in Vermont Product.
In the early 1970’s, not only did the size of surfboards decrease to a more modern and manageable size, the snurf boards did as well. It was at this point that Jake Burton Carpenter began developing safe and manageable snowboards in earnest. Working out of his garage in Manchester, VT, Burton had a vision of bringing snowboarding to the world. In the mid-70’s he began shaping snowboards out of wood and attaching rubber foot straps to them as primitive bindings. This vision apparently succeeded, because Burton Snowboards has been one of the leading forerunners in the snowboard industry for the last 30 years. The vision of Jake Burton in the 1970’s has directly influenced today’s modern sport of snowboarding.
In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, Vermont was home to one of the first established snowboard competition in the world – the National Races at Suicide Six in Pomfrey, VT. Early snowboard races were also held at Pando Park in Rochford, Michigan. A concentrated interest in this sport eventually spawned the US Open, the world’s first renowned snowboard competition. The US Open has been held at Magic Mountain, and eventually moved to Stratton Mountain Resort.
Vermont was also the first state in America to offer terrain parks at its ski resorts. In the early 1980’s, the tiny Sonnenburg Ski Hill near Barnard, VT was one of the first to open its arms to snowboarders. Not only did Sonnenburg give those early snow boarders free reign to build their own jumps on one trail, they also provided an endless supply of hay bales and picnic tables for jumping as well. Because the vast majority of ski resorts would not allow snowboarding on their trails at the time, what Sonnenburg did was truly groundbreaking. Because of Sonnenburg’s willingness to open their doors to boarders, snowboard terrain parks are now a commonplace sight at most American ski resorts and countless other international winter resorts as well.
Thanks to the innovative visions of a handful of Vermonters, snowboarding is now an internationally accepted sport worldwide.
In 1988, the US Amateur Snowboarder Association was formed. By 1990, it had grown to become the International Snowboarding Federation. Finally, in 1998, snowboarding made it big. People started realizing it wasn’t a fad that would fade as quickly as it seemed to have appeared. No longer considered just an ‘extreme’ sport, snowboarding had at last become a recognized Olympic sport
. Vermont was well represented at the Olympics in Nagano, Japan that year, with several native Vermonters competing in two different competitions; the Halfpipe and the Giant Slalom.
Today, Vermont resorts continually improve their boarding services, with newer and more innovative terrain opening each season. Vermont – home of the original Burton Snowboards. Thanks to Vermont snowboarders, 98% of all ski resorts not only allow snowboarding on their trails, they develop challenging slopes geared specifically for the boarders as well.
History of Snowboarding | Learning to Snowboard | Burton Snowboards
Snowboard Terminology | Vermont Snowboard Resorts | History of Burton
- GPS running smartwatch with music advanced training features, Lens Material:Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Bezel Material: fiber-reinforced polymer, Strap material:silicone
- Battery life: up to 7 days in smartwatch mode and 6 hours in GPS mode with music
- Evaluates your current training status to indicate if you’re undertraining or overdoing it; Offers additional performance monitoring features
- Get free adaptive training plans from Garmin coach, or create your own custom workouts on our Garmin connect online fitness community
- Provides advanced running dynamics, including ground contact time balance, stride length, vertical ratio and more (When used with Running Dynamics Pod or HRM Run or HRM Tri monitors (sold separately))
- Safety and tracking features include incident detection (during select activities) which sends your real-time location to emergency contacts through your paired compatible smartphone
- Sync with music streaming services, such as Spotify, to easily store and play your favorite songs right from your watch
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
- Thule Comfort Key can only be removed when all locking points are securely closed
- Fits 3-5 snowboards (max length: 155 cm)
- External dimensions: 67 x 35 x 16 inches; Internal dimensions: 61 x 33 x 14 inches
- Load capacity: 110 lbs; Product weight: 34 lbs
- Height off crossbar: 16 inches. Fast and secure mounting
- Keeps track of your energy levels, Pulse Ox (this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition), respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart, hydration and more
- Easily download songs to your watch, including playlists from Spotify, Amazon music or Deezer (may require a premium subscription with a third party music provider), and connect with headphones (sold separately) for phone free listening
- Record all the ways to move with more than 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more
- Get easy to follow, animated workouts right on your watch screen, including cardio, strength, yoga and Pilates
- Battery life: Up to 8 days in smartwatch mode; Up to 6 hours in GPS and music mode
- Personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from our Connect IQ store
- Stay connected with smart notifications (when paired with a compatible device) for incoming calls, text messages, calendar reminders and more
- Water rating: 5 ATM
- BATTERY LIFE - Up to 12 hours of listening time
- CUSTOMIZED FIT - All-day comfort with Flex-Form cable and four eartip options
- APPLE HEADPHONE CHIP - Powered by the Apple W1 headphone chip for seamless connectivity
- THE MUSIC STOPS WHEN YOU DO - Magnetic earbuds with Auto-Play/Pause
- LISTEN WITH A FRIEND - Audio Sharing lets you wirelessly share audio with another pair of Beats headphones or AirPods
- EXTENDED WIRELESS RANGE - Class 1 Bluetooth for extended range and fewer dropouts
- ON-DEVICE CONTROLS - On-device controls for music, calls, and voice assistant
- BUILT-IN MICROPHONE - Built-in microphone with wind reduction for elevated voice clarity
- COMPATIBILITY - Compatible with Apple and Android
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX - Beats Flex wireless earphones, USB-C to USB-C charging cable, Eartips with four size options, Quick Start Guide, Warranty card (USB-C power adapter sold separately)
- Rugged GPS watch built to withstand the toughest environments.Supported Application:Phone. . Wireless comm standard:Bluetooth
- Constructed to U.S. Military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 meters)
- Built in 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter, plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) support helps track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Monitor your estimated heart rate, activity and stress; Train with preloaded activity profiles. Strap material: Silicone
- Stay connected with smart notifications (with a compatible smartphone) and automatic data uploads to the Garmin connect online fitness community
- Use the trackback feature to navigate the same route back to your starting point; Use the Garmin explore website and app to plan your trips in advance
- Battery life: Up to 14 days in smartwatch mode, up to 16 hours in GPS mode, up to 40 hours in Ultratrac battery saver mode
- Specially designed for men over 200 lbs., tall and/or those with wide width feet
- All-day support & relief, every day
- Extra supportive heel cushioning surrounds the heel and relieves lower back pain & leg fatigue
- Durable and Built-to-Last
- Clinically Proven & Scientifically designed and engineered
- BOSE WATERPROOF SPEAKER: Small but powerful, the Bose SoundLInk Micro Bluetooth speaker produces loud, clear sound with shockingly deep bass. It packs a custom-designed transducer and passive radiators for crisp, balanced sound, WATERPROOF AND DUSTPROOF (IP67)
- TEAR-RESISTANT STRAP: This small portable speaker comes equipped with an easy-to-use, tear-resistant silicone strap. Secure it to your backpack, beach cooler, or handlebars, and the reliable strap will hold tight through shocks and shakes
- RUGGED OUTDOOR SPEAKER: Constructed from durable materials, including a rubberized silicone exterior, SoundLink Micro resists drops, dents, cracks, and scratches. Plus, its soft-touch finish almost never shows a mark
- WATERPROOF SPEAKER: The SoundLink Micro Bluetooth speaker has been rigorously tested to meet an IP67 rating. It’s waterproof, dustproof, and protected from extreme temperatures, liquids, and other substances
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY: This small outdoor speaker comes with a powerful lithium-ion battery. Enjoy up to 6 hours of music and charge anytime via the included Micro-USB cable
- PHONE CALLS: An integrated microphone allows you to take phone calls directly from the speaker, while a multi-function button gives you access to your phone’s voice assistant (Siri or Google Assistant)
- BOSE CONNECT APP: App automatically updates the small Bluetooth speaker with the latest software, allows you to customize settings, unlock product features, and more
- BOSE SIMPLESYNC TECHNOLOGY: SimpleSync pairs your Bose SoundLink Micro Bluetooth Speaker to compatible Bose products for sound that follows you from room to room. Away from your phone? Press and hold the Bluetooth button on each device to sync their sound. Already got a group going? Link by pressing the Action button to connect at a moment’s notice
- 2-Way Radios - These Walkie-Talkies Feature 50 Gmrs (General Mobile Radio Service) Channels, Along With Channel Scan To Check For Activity. The Jis4 Waterproof Protection Prevents Splashing Water From Having Any Harmful Effect On It (Splash Resistant)
- 36-Mile Range - Longer Range Communication In Open Areas With Little Or No Obstruction. Easy Voice And Sound Activation Transmission (Evox) With 9 Sensitivity Levels For Hands-Free Operation
- 142 Ctcss/Dcs Privacy Codes - The Privacy Codes Give You Up To 3,124 Channel Options To Block Other Conversations
- Noaa Weather Scan + Alert - Noaa Weather Scan Will Automatically Scan Through 10 Available Weather (Wx) Band Channels And Locks Onto The Strongest Weather Channel To Alert You Of Severe Weather Updates. Noaa Weather Alert Will Sound An Alarm Indicating That There Is A Risk Of Severe Weather In Your Area
- Cut to Fit: Superfeet insoles are made to be trimmed to fit your shoe; follow cutting instructions before use. If you're between sizes, size up and trim down to fit
- High Arch & Wide, Deep Heel Cup: These orthotic insoles help stabilize and relieve stress on feet, ankles and back, and work with your body for maximum foot support
- Durable Orthotic Shoe Insoles: For reliable support and comfort for up to 12 months or 500 miles
- Odour Control: These arch support insoles have a coating to help with odours in your shoes
- Superfeet: Comfortable, durable, foam arch support shoe insoles for women and men
- High-arched insole for maximum support
- Fits most roomy footwear styles with factory insoles you can remove
- For common foot pain, arch pain, heel pain & plantar fasciitis
- Durable construction adds comfort, support & structure to shoes
- JBL Pro Sound delivers surprisingly rich audio and punchy bass from Clip 4’s compact size.
- JBL Clip 4’s ultra-portable design goes great with the latest styles, and its colorful fabrics and expressive details make it look as great as it sounds.
- With the JBL Clip 4's redesigned carabiner that’s integrated into the speaker itself for extra protection, you can clip it on and go explore the world.
- Wirelessly stream music from your phone, tablet, or any other Bluetooth-enabled device.
- The JBL Clip 4 is IP67 waterproof and dustproof, so you can bring your speaker anywhere.
- Power source type: Battery Powered
- Included components: JBL Clip 4, Type C USB Cable, Quick Start Guide, Warranty Card, Safety Sheet
Vermont Ski Resort Guide
Vermont Products | Visit VT Towns | FWM 24/7 Shopping
Country Weddings | New England Recipes
VT Inns | Red Sox Gifts | Travel Destinations
New England Living | NE Ski Resorts
Free World Mall
Country Weddings | New England Recipes
VT Inns | Red Sox Gifts | Travel Destinations