Brandon, Vermont 05733
Brandon VT Lodging, Real Estate, History & Information
Brandon, Vermont is a town in Rutland County. Brandon, VT is situated on the banks of the Neshobe River, along with on Route 7 about halfway between Middlebury and Rutland, making it a favorite stop for travelers. Brandon village has a traditional town green with many examples of fine architecture along its broad avenues.
Brandon, Vermont was chartered on October 20, 1761, by the Governor of New Hampshire. The original name was Neshobe, after the home of one of the original grantees of the town, Captain Josiah Powers. The name’s Algonquin meaning, “between water” or “full of water,” is somewhat applicable to the town because of the Otter Creek and Neshobe River which flow through the town along with other ponds and streams. Early settlers, however, petitioned the legislature to change the name, and in 1784 the name Brandon was taken.
Stateman Stephen A. Douglas was born in Brandon. Thomas Davenport was living in the Brandon village of Forest Dale when he patented the electric motor he had invented. James Conant manufactured the first stoves made in Vermont here which were cast of iron from Brandon. The “Conant Furnace” is now a stove collector’s favorite. The stove was made of iron mined in Brandon and was the first cooking stove made in the state.
Several Vermont industries have factories in Brandon. The town is also home to a variety of lodging and dining possibilities and is a commercial, agricultural, and tourism center surrounded by farmland and ski resort areas. Points of interest are the Stephan A. Douglas House, Art Galleries, Antiques Shops, and a historic downtown shopping area. Brandon is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Brandon, VT Population:
Brandon, VT Local Information
Brandon Town Offices: 802-247-3635
New England Living Magazine