Learning to Snowboard in VT
Snowboarding Lessons, Tips & Tricks for Successful Snowboarding
This is where snowboarding got it’s start. So why not board where snowboarding first started, besides the conditions are just great for snowboarding at nearly all of Vermont’s Ski Areas. A snowboarding vacation is an outrageous way to getaway. Vermont offers the snowboard enthusiast challenging fun at a variety of slopes. With the best mountains, hotels, inns, resorts, and mountain rentals – it’s no wonder Vermont is New England’s top boarding destination. Ask us about VT Learn to Snowboard vacations or share winter fun comments. To feature your business, contact us.
Vermont Learn to Snowboard Vacations
Willoughvale Inn and Cottages on Lake Willoughby, 794 Vermont Rt. 5A, Westmore, VT 05860 | 800-594-9102
Warm hospitality awaits you at the WilloughVale Inn, situated in an exquisite natural setting on the shores of Lake Willoughby. Lodging is gracious and informal, providing a perfectly relaxed atmosphere for vacationing in all four seasons. Ten unique guest rooms and eight cozy cottages feature fully-equipped kitchens, some feature a fireplace, Jacuzzi and docks. Pets are welcome in limited accommodations. Boating, water trampoline, game room and WiFi. Seasonal dining. Discounted rates.
Visit Willoughvale Inn & Cottage on Lake Willoughby
The Wildflower Inn, Darling Hill Road, Lyndonville, VT 05851
"Warm hospitality and tons of kids' activities" -Yankee Magazine. With on-site direct access to VAST 52 snowmobile trail and lots of room for trailer and sled parking, this family-friendly country resort on 570 acres is perfect for your Vermont snowmobiling getaway! The Wildflower inn offers comfortable rooms and suites, mountain views, cozy sitting rooms with woodstoves, and a casual atmosphere. On site x-country skiing and snowshoeing trails, sledding, skating, bonfires, petting barn, kids' programs & playroom, hot tub & sauna. Burke Mountain skiing just 3 miles away.
Sunset Motor Inn, 160 VT Route 15 W Morrisville, VT 05661 | 800-544-2347
A family owned hotel in scenic Vermont. Recently updated rooms and amenties. 55 units, apartment suite, four houses in a convenient location. Charlmont Restaurant, located next door. Children 12 & under stay free, Group Rates, Bus Parking, Free Wi-Fi, Outdoor Pool, Views, Select pet-friendly rooms available; a large lawn is available behind hotel.
Visit Sunset Motor Inn - Morrisville
So you want to learn to snowboard?
The first thing I’m going to tell you is that it’s not easy. Not by a long shot. But boarding to worth the learning curve – and the humble pie falls.
Your first day strapped to a snowboard is guaranteed to be challenging. Be prepared to spend a fair amount of slope time on your bum and don’t be surprised to find yourself looking for a hot tub at the end of the day to soothe those aching muscles.
Snowboarding is similar to skiing in that both sports use the techniques of weighting while on edge and following the fall line when descending the mountain. Learning to snowboard is different from skiing in one distinct regard – although learning to snowboard is twice as hard as learning to ski, your level of ability will increase exponentially faster on a snowboard than on skis. Before you know it you’ll be flying down the slopes, leaving the skiers with a face full of powder.
A word to the wise: Make sure the first thing you learn how to do is fall. Because you’re going fall. And you’re going to fall a lot. So tuck in those arms and legs, and just roll with it!
Because learning to snowboard is a challenge, it’s important to set realistic goals for yourself those first few times on the mountain. Realistic goals will keep your frustration levels to a minimum. An example of a realistic goal would be “Get myself down the bunny slope once without falling.” not “Grinding rails in the terrain park.”
The fastest way to gain success on a snowboard is to invest in private lessons from a snowboard instructor. These lessons are more than worth their weight in gold. When scheduling lessons at the mountain, be sure you’re getting a real snowboard instructor, not a skier strapped to a snowboard. A good snowboard instructor knows the sport well and will be able to teach you quickly and effectively, guaranteeing more time riding and less time sliding backward and out-of-control down the bunny slope.
I strongly recommend spending 2-3 days in a row strapped to a snowboard when starting out. It’s the fastest way for your body to learn the muscle memory necessary to ride a board. Yes, you will discover new muscles you never knew existed before. If too much time passes between your first and second snowboarding lesson, your second lesson will have you starting at ground zero again. Not. Fun.
More Tips for First-Time Snowboarders:
- Wear waterproof pants & gloves and a helmet
- Stretch your legs, back and arms before riding
- Always strap your front foot in first
- Remove loose snow from bindings regularly
- Keep a wide stance, flexed knees, loose ankles & straight back
- Keep your hands in loose fists to avoid broken bones
- Always try to fall uphill, relax and roll with the fall
- Use a heel-toe rocking motion to control your edges
- Never ride with your board flat on the hill
- Lean slightly forward down the mountain for more control
Although learning to snowboard can be difficult, there is no mistaking the thrill of success once you “get it” and you will love that unique floating sensation you get as you carve down the mountain. With no poles to worry about, you are free to surf the slopes and enjoy the ride. So schedule that lesson, strap into that board, say a prayer and HAVE FUN!
- Size: 130cm for riders 80-150lbs
- Perfect for Beginners: This snowboard will enter you into the world of cruising' the slopes
- Durable: Hardwood construction for long lasting, repetitive use
- Easy Adjusting: Hook and loop binding allows for them to be adjusted easily
- Note: No metal edge.Not for resort use
- System MTN and APX Complete Men's Snowboard Package : Featuring System's MTN snowboard designed to float in powder, power through trees and still handle park laps for day, this thing is a powerhouse. Then we added Systems APX bindings, a leightweight performance driven binding that will excel your riding. Finally we added System's comfort focused APX boots to build a complete snowboard package that can take you anywhere on the mountain!
- System MTN Snowboard : The MTN is a camber-rocker-camber profile which greatly increases float in powder and ensures you never catch an edge. The small cambered sections in the nose and tail only engage when you tell them for explosive pop for ollies and jumps. The MTN uses the all new 3D core! Centered around tip to tail Poplar wood then two high density stringers running just outside the center of the board. Then an artisan grade heartwood stringer is placed down the center of the board.
- System APX Bindings: One of the lightest binding, the APX offers unparalleled performance. It has an absolute wish list of features. Full length EVA base pad. Either-Or toe strap that can be ridden toe cap style or over the forefoot. Gel insert contoured straps. Inside routed ladder straps, Aluminum 4 tooth ratchets, 15% fiber inclusion in both the baseplate and the highback, anatomically correct footbed!
- APX Boots : Simple and classic styling allows these boots to optimize features like metal hooks for superior lace hold and lasting power. Combined with the newest tech like the Thermofit heat moldable liners for customizable fit and an articulating cuff for smooth flex, you just can't find a better quality boot.
- 3 year warranty on all components
- COST EFFECTIVE - Snowboarding is a blast, but it can be expensive to equip kids with all the latest gear. Here’s a way to get the speed, the excitement, and the adrenaline rush of snowboarding…for a fraction of the cost!
- BEST WINTER FUN - Our all NEW Purple SLEDSTERZ kids Snowboard is shaped to go fast, make turns, and hit bumps and jumps on snow covered hills in the neighborhood.
- EASY TO USE - Insert and secure the bindings from the underside of the board. Riders just hop on, strap in, & start shredding -- no special boots or bindings required -- use regular snow boots or shoes.
- IMPROVED BINDINGS - NEW improved bindings for 2019 fasten securely to the board. They have 3 adjustable settings depending on boot/shoe size and can be reversed for regular or goofy foot riders.
- SPECS - This 40-inch-tall by 10.5-inch-wide snowboard is made of a super-strong polymer and engineered for years of cold-weather fun. Recommended for ages 6 to 12. Also available in blue, red, or green.
- The Pulse features Flat Out Camber and Bite Free edges for low consequence creative riding.
- Packing an Aspen Core with a versatile directional twin shape. This is an easy choice for any one who wants to explore all terrain freestyle riding.
- Flat Out Camber - Flat profile loaded with camber under the feet for maximum stability and response when you need it.
- Directional twin - A twin shape for freestyle moves with a directional flex for power at high-speed. Binding stance is set back from center slightly.
- BA LD - The use of Low-density fibers allows us to produce lighter boards that keep their playful forgiving flex forever.
- System MTN and APX Men's Snowboard Package :Simply one of the best all mountain setups we have to offer, this package will take you everywhere! Featuring System's MTN snowboard designed to float in powder, power through trees and still handle park laps for day, this thing is a powerhouse. Then we added Systems APX bindings, a leightweight performance driven binding that will excel your riding. This package will take your riding further than you ever imagined.
- System MTN 2019 Snowboard : System's newest board is the MTN, and it is an absolute game changer! Featuring the all new CRCX camber profile, the MTN is a rocker dominant "camber-rocker-camber" profile which greatly increases float in powder and elevates your contact points to ensure you never catch an edge. The small cambered sections in the nose and tail only engage when you tell them to, and create explosive pop for ollies and jumps.
- System APX Bindings: The newest addition to the System line with all upgraded hardware, the APX comes ready for snowy combat on the mountain! One of the lightest, stylish and yet most durable bindings we carry, the APX offers unparalleled performance. It has an absolute wish list of features.
- 3 Year Warranty
- System MTN Snowboard : The all new CRCX camber profile, the MTN is a rocker dominant profile which greatly increases float in powder and elevates your contact points so you never catch an edge. The small cambered sections in the nose and tail engage when you tell them to, and create explosive pop. The ultralight 3D core centers around tip to tail Poplar wood with two high density stringers running just outside the center of the board and an artisan grade heartwood stringer down the center.
- CRCX: An all new design, this is a rocker dominant "camber-rocker-camber" profile. Overall rocker creates tons of float in powder and prevents edge catches for a super smooth ride. Small sections of camber in the tip and tail add explosive pop and increases the effective edge making high speed turns a breeze.
- Construction: 3D Core Leightweight and explosive pop and response are the name of the game when it comes to our new triple density 3D Core. Hand selected Poplar runs tip to tail with added stringers of higher density wood for strength and response. But we don’t stop there. We then place a powerful, artisan grade, heartwood stringer down the center of the board. Whether it’s jumping through the park, or powering through turns, the 3D core offers unparalleled power and performance.
- Camp Seven Summit Bindings: The features of this binding are a dream come true. Full length EVA base pad. Either-Or toe strap that can be ridden toe cap style or over the forefoot. Gel insert contoured straps. Inside routed ladder straps, Aluminum 4 tooth ratchets, 15% fiber inclusion in both the baseplate and the highback, anatomically correct footbed, comfy adjustable toe ramps, full dual sided on the fly strap adjustability via cam cleats on both toe and ankle straps.
- 3 Year Warranty
- All-Mountain Style Snowboard Set – Lightweight Rig with a Medium Flex - Durable Gloss Finished Top-Sheet Paired with Rigid Snowboard Bindings made of Injection Molded Polyethylene
- Snowboard Shape -Twin Directional (Symmetric) Tip and Tail, Hybrid Profile (Camber Rocker Camber Profile) with Camber under foot and a rocker core (prevents edge catching and enhances pop), using the standard 2 x 4 Mounting System made with stainless steel inserts
- Sandwich Construct - White ABS Side Wall - Components: 100% Real Wood Core, ABS side wall, Rubber dampening strip, Steel edge side wall, Extruded base, Ridged Top & Bottom Sheet (scratch resistant)
- STAUBER Dyna Snowboard Bindings - Light weight, Reinforced Precision Injection Molded Bindings, Adjustable High back, Taught Ankle Strap, Toe Cap strap, Aluminum alloy 6061 Buckling mechanism
- Includes 8 - 14mm Screws and 8 Countersunk Locking Washers, 2 Mounting Discs, and a FREE STAUBER Sticker
- The Timeless is a snowboard guaranteed to live up to it's name! Built around the strongest core System has, the 3D Core with Edgelock is full tip to tail poplar with high density stringers running just outside the center of the board as well as down each rail, easily driving and holding your edge in to any snow conditions! Then an artisan grade heartwood stringer is set in the center of the board creating explosive power and response from the park to big mountain carves!
- Construction: 3D Core with Edgelock
- System APX Men's Snowboard Boots : System is back with their APX Snowboard Boots. This ultra durable boot combines superior comfort with peak performance. Simple and classic styling allows these boots to optimize features like metal hooks for superior lace hold and lasting power. Combined with the newest tech like the Thermofit heat moldable liners for customizable fit and an articulating cuff for smooth flex, you just can't find a better quality boot.
- Camp Seven Summit Bindings: Full length EVA base pad creates a plush cloud like comfort while riding in even the choppiest terrain. Either-Or toe strap that can be ridden toe cap style or over the forefoot allowing a customizable fit. Gel insert contoured straps maximize control and stability. Inside routed ladder straps, and aluminum 4 tooth ratchets make tightening and loosening a breeze. The anatomically correct footbed creates insane performance on any part of the mountain.
- 3 Year Warranty
- THE BEST IN WINTER FUN - Our premium designed Ski Skooter will provide hours of “snowboarding" winter fun for your kids. Great for use in your neighborhood, on snow covered hills, flat snow covered sidewalks or even up in the mountains.
- MULTI USE SKOOTER - Cruise and zigzag down your favorite sledding hill; ride it like a scooter on sloped or flat compact snow covered surfaces. Just use one foot to push off the ground. Can even be used on grass, or sand dunes!
- LIGHTS UP FOR SAFETY - Our Ski Skooter includes one LED Light Module at the top of handle for max visibility & safety. The LED marker has 5 colors with flash, strobe and fade modes. Add a 2nd “Illuminator” 20-mode LED puck light at the base (sold separately by pasting B01MXMEE5G into Amazon search bar).
- SUPERIOR DESIGN - Super-tough polyurethane material flexes slightly for a smooth ride. The fold-up handle helps maintain balance & assists with steering, circular design provides better grip & hand positioning than other models with straight handles.
- THE SPECS - For both Kids (6 years+) and Adults (Max weight 220 Lbs). One size fits all. Handle folds down for convenient transport and storage. Ski Skooter is 37” long, 9.50” wide and 31” high (when handle is up).
- Waterproof/Breathability Rating: 15,000mm / 15,000gm²
- Standard Fit
- Zip Tech Jacket to Pant Interface
- Hidden Toggle Cinch Hood
- Super Suede Chin Guard